MOVEMENT GENERATES ENERGY
Small actions give you more energy at work and in your free time. Thanks to its benefits, exercising is like putting money in the bank.
Take a look at some of the solutions
Take a break from sitting
Spending too much time sitting down has serious consequences. Fortunately, there are solutions for the workplace, commutes and leisure time.
- During meetings, you can stand up or move around, or you can arrange a meeting outside by walking.
- Take care of common tasks by visiting a colleague’s desk instead of sending an email.
- Change your seat. For example, you can sit on a gym ball. Try to cycle or walk some or even the whole way to work. It is surprising how much of a positive effect even short bursts of activity can have.
More energy for leisure time
Recovery is a skill that should be practised and incorporated into daily routines. Recovery, including sleep, is important for both well-being and work ability.
You can also start your recovery process during the workday, for example through these steps:
- regular micro pauses – as little as 3 minutes has a positive effect on the brain
- taking breaks from sitting every 30 minutes
- healthy meals
- avoid work related conversation topics during breaks
- take a break and calm your mind, especially when you are in a hurry.
Utilize the commute
Walk or cycle – every metre has an impact. If you feel exhausted even by the idea, consider a mixture of driving and walking or cycling
Benefits & tips of active commuting:
- Your health improves, your stress level decreases, and you also burn calories.
- You can get to work faster, you avoid traffic and save money on car expenses.
- It is ecological.
- Get suitable clothes for the changing conditions in Finland and pack a spare set of clothes with you.
- Walk or cycle even a part of your way to work, for example by getting off the bus at an earlier stop.
More strength for physically strenuous work
Muscle training is particularly important for those doing physical work. The right kind of strength training makes you stronger, helps you recover and maintains good work ability. Good physical condition contributes to more than just coping better with your work day; it also gives you more energy for your free time so that you can do things that are important to you. However, remember to listen to your body while you exercise; you need to also recover from exercising.
Physical activity that energises, refreshes and restores brain activity is a great addition to work days. Overloading the data processing capabilities of the brain can lead to stress and symptoms such as exhaustion.
Exercising can have the following benefits:
- It stimulates circulation, giving the brain more oxygen and nutrients to use.
- Accelerates the formation of new brain cells.
- Enhances data processing capabilities, such as attention and memory.
- Refreshes and helps to recover – especially outdoor activities enhance the revitalizing effects of physical activity.
- Improves stress resilience and improves mood.
- Improves sleep and promotes recovery.
SMALL ACTIONS CAN HAVE A BIG IMPACT
For all the countless benefits, physical activity is like putting money in the bank. You are the main beneficiary of these benefits.
- improves recovery from all kinds of burden
- helps you sleep better
- reduces stress
- has a positive impact on brain
- strengthens learning, ability to concentrate and absorb knowledge
- maintains or improves physical condition
- prevents and treats illnesses